Here's a series of pictures I took while upgrading my Abit BM6 v1.03 motherboard with a Celeron II 1.1GHz Coppermine 128 CPU.
I used the techniques illustrated here: http://krick.3feetunder.com/370mod/.
My old Celeron 366 (overclocked to 550)
My bare board with everything removed
The back of the socket on the motherboard
I've marked the pins that I need to solder the jumper wire to
I've connected the jumper wire...It's not pretty but it works
Socket 370 with the top removed and the pin taken out
A closer look at the removed pin...it was a major pain to remove without damaging other pins
The new CPU installed (with its retail Intel heatsink & fan)
The BIOS settings needed to make this work...Speed Error Hold MUST be Disabled!!!
And since you asked for it.... BENCHMARKS!!!
|SiSoft Sandra Standard|
|CPU Arithmetic Benchmark|
|Dhrystone ALU||3035 MIPS|
|Whetstone FPU||1525 MFLOPS|
|CPU Multi-Media Benchmark|
|Integer iSSE||6133 it/s|
|Floating-Point iSSE||7503 it/s|